To complement its corporate social responsibility nutrition and healthy lifestyle project in Nigeria, Mondelez International Foundations has allocated $50million to address nutrition education, active play, provide fresh foods to at-risk children and their families.
Director, Cooperate and Government Affairs, Cadbury Nigeria Plc, Bala Yesufu said the project is the first Mondelez International Foundation-funded effort in Nigeria, which complements their corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives.
He added that the Foundation is the community partnership arm of Cadbury and owns 74.99 per cent of its shares in Nigeria, while the remaining 25.01% of shares are held by a diverse group of indigenous, individual and institutional investors.
Speaking at the launch of the Foundation’s healthy lifestyle project in Nigeria, Yesufu said, Cadbury Nigeria has joined nine other countries in the Mondelez International family in this initiative to promote healthy lifestyles and address obesity.
“The Foundation is focused on three pillars namely: investing in community programmes that promote active, healthy lifestyles to help improve the lives of children and their families around the world; providing humanitarian aid through cash and product when disaster strikes; and inspiring our colleagues to contribute their time and talent to charitable causes. These community partnerships are transforming the lives of more than a million children in 14 nations spanning five continents,” he added.
He stressed that Helen Keller International, a partner in the project has trained 130 stakeholders, including teachers, nutritionists and agriculturists that will ensure its success, which will run over a three-year period with a target of reaching about 6,000 children and families in nine schools within Ikeja Lagos, our host community.
Yesufu said the primary objective of the project is to teach children the importance of proper nutrition, physical activity and gardening through in-school and after-school activities.
“It is expected that if children imbibe these healthy habits, they will grow up to become healthy adults that can contribute meaningfully to our national development. We are happy to partner with Helen Keller International, a reputable international NGO, in this initiative,” he added.
President, Mondelēz International Foundation, Sarah Delea noted that making a positive impact on the people and the planet is a driving motive for the foundation.